Here’s a list of things that I have found to be the most effective in practising self-love.
Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends On It
This book was at the centre of the self-love experiment I described in this post. It’s a story of a San Francisco investor and his journey to overcoming an existential crisis and learning to love himself after a breakup. Funny, at times moving, relatable and short.
Gay & Kathlyn Hendricks
Although this is a book about creating conscious relationships, it taught me a lot about how to express my needs and prioritise myself in my relations. Loving ourselves can sometimes be tricky when we also want to be loving towards another. This book helps to understand how creating a conscious relationship with oneself helps to create one with another.
Greater Than The Sum Of Our Parts
This is the best $30 I spent on an audiobook. Think of it more like a module of therapy that you can take at home, with headphones on. It’s a great introduction to parts work therapy and will help you develop more compassion and acceptance for all parts of yourself.
- Kristin Neff’s Self-Compassion Meditations (Free) – here’s my favorite one
- Sarah Blondin – Practicing Gentle Kindness Towards Ourselves
- How Love Heals Like Nothing Else Can (Podcast)
- Self-love Frequency Sounds (great background for meditation)
- Find Ecstatic Dance in your city
- My favourite Ecstatic Dance in London – by Urubu School
- Try this at home – just play it and let the music move you (closing eyes can help)
Self-love Workshop with Laura Reeves
Slow yoga / Mindful stretching